Dr. Kafeel Khan of BRD Medical College arrested again by UP Police for “Different Reason”

Dr. Kafeel Khan, out on bail in the BRD Medical College deaths case, was arrested again by the Uttar Pradesh police on Saturday. This time, Dr. Kafeel was charged with “disrupting treatment” at the district hospital in Bahraich.  Khan was arrested along with his two associates, Suraj Pandey and Mahipal Singh, the police said. They were later granted bail, police added.

Superintendent of Police Sabharaj Singh said they were alerted by the hospital authorities after Dr. Kafeel entered into the treatment ward and began arguing with doctors. Since he had “disturbed” treatment of patients, the police took him under arrest.

His brother, Adeel Khan, has refuted the police’s claim, alleging that Dr. Kafeel was arrested as he was scheduled to address the press today with incrementing information related to the death of 63 children within a span of four days at the Gorakhpur-based BRD Medical College last year. “My brother had gone to Bahraich district hospital after he came to know from different sources that several children had died because of an unknown disease. He wanted to know if the deaths were caused due to encephalitis. While he was speaking to the family members of the patients to know the symptoms, a police team arrived and forcibly took him with them,” Khan’s brother Adeel Ahmed Khan said.

When contacted, chief medical superintendent of Bahraich district hospital, Dr DK Singh said that 71 children had died in the hospital between August 1 and September 16. While six died of encephalitis, others died due to various other reasons.

“Khan and his associates started questioning the families of the patients in the pediatric department without obtaining any permission from the authorities which created the problem in the ward,” Singh added.

Dr. Kafeel, who was the head of the encephalitis ward at BRD Medical College, was charged among the nine key accused by the UP police in the case involving the death of toddlers.

While the accused has reiterated that the liquid oxygen supply was cut-off due to non-payment of dues by the government, the police have claimed that Dr. Kafeel used to divert the oxygen supplies to his private clinic. He was arrested in September 2017 — a month after the tragedy broke out. He was released in April this year after the Allahabad High Court granted him bail.